If you find yourself needing a temporary (one day to one year) position during a break or a transition period, or are looking for something more permanent, working with a staffing company can be a great collaboration! Many people are unsure of what staffing companies do or what services they offer. There are many different kinds of staffing companies that range from general positions to extremely specific types of jobs they recruit for. There are three main types of job placements in the staffing industry:
- Temporary or contract, where you work for a staffing firm’s client on an interim basis
- Temp-to-perm or temp-to-hire, where you work for a staffing firm’s client on a trial basis to determine if the job is a good fit for your skills, interests, and career goals—if so, you become the client’s employee
- Direct hire or permanent, where you are recruited by the staffing firm and then hired by its client (http://www.americanstaffing.net/jobseekers/select.cfm)
The following information will help you learn more about staffing companies and offer resources to get you in touch with them!
First and foremost, staffing companies offer Jobs! Staffing companies match millions of people to millions of jobs.
- 2.91 million people per day are employed by staffing companies.
- 11.5 million temporary and contract employees are hired by U.S. staffing firms over the course of a year.
- 79% of temporary and contract employees work full time, virtually the same as the rest of the work force.
Next, they offer Flexibility. The staffing industry offers flexibility to both employees and companies. People can choose when, where, and how they want to work. Companies can get the skills they need to keep fully staffed during busy times.
- 66% of temporary employees say flexible work time is important to them.
- 64% of staffing employees report that their work gives them the scheduling flexibility and the time for family that they desire.
- 90% of client businesses say staffing companies give them flexibility to keep fully staffed during busy times.
Staffing companies act as a Bridge. Temporary and contract work provides a bridge to permanent employment. People can try out a prospective employer and showcase their skills for a permanent job.
- 88% of staffing employees say that temporary or contract work made them more employable.
- 77% of staffing employees say it’s a good way to obtain a permanent job.
- 80% of staffing clients say staffing firms offer a good way to find people who can become permanent employees.
If you want Choice, a staffing company may be fore you! Many people choose temporary and contract work as an employment option. They can select their work schedules and choose among a variety of diverse and challenging assignments.
- 67% of staffing employees say choice of assignments was an important factor in their job decision.
- 23% of staffing employees have little or no interest in a permanent job—they prefer the alternative arrangement over traditional employment.
- 33% of staffing employees say they work for a staffing company because they like the diversity and challenge of different jobs.
Statistics taken from: http://www.americanstaffing.net/staffingsmarts/f_facts.html
Where to find them:
Staffing companies are easy to find, but make sure to do some research to see which one is right for you. By searching “Minnesota Staffing Agencies” in your search bar, many will show up. The great thing about Staffing Agencies is that they are across the country, so type in any city or state you may be looking to relocate to. Give them a call, read through their website, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. They want to help you!
-Kady Johnson, CDC Graduate Assistant