MN State Universities Job and Internship Fair – February 6, 2015

your career

Have You Heard?
You Need to Start Looking for a Job or Internship NOW!
(That is, if you want to have one by the end of spring semester…)
Why NOW?

Because the typical job/internship search averages 6-9 months in a good economy.

How?

There are a number of ways to find job and internship opportunities, and the Career Development Center can help!

What is ONE excellent way to find a job or internship?

Attend the MN State Universities Job and Internship Fair!

What is it?

This Job & Internship Fair is open to ALL students and alumni from the seven state universities. As in past years, we expect approximately 1,000 students and alumni to be in attendance and 140+ organizations to register! This is a GREAT event for all students who are looking for an internship or employment after graduation.

Why should I go?
According to employers across a variety of industries, Job Fairs are one of the TOP ways they recruit candidates! Also, students get a lot out of this event!

“This was an amazing opportunity and I feel so much more confident about my summer internship hunt after this fair… I have two interviews set up… Although I was initially very nervous for this event, I very quickly became more relaxed and confident. “ – Management Student

“Leading up to the job fair I was pretty nervous to walk up to employers and talk with them about their company and what they had to offer, but after the first couple of companies that I walked up to, all of my nervousness went out the window. Most of the representatives there were very charismatic and easy to talk to.” – Marketing Student

When and where?

Friday, February 6, 2015 at the Earle Brown Heritage Center

Job & Internship Fair Schedule

• 11:00am-3:00pm – Fair open to candidates and employers
  • 10:00am-3:00pm – Interview Area open for scheduled interviews

Registration

To register for the Fair, log into your MavJobs account. On the homepage, under “Attend Events,” click on Job and Internship Fair 2015.

You will be able to pay your registration fee ($25) online by credit card, OR you can choose to pay by check and drop off, or send by mail, a check to the CDC – the check MUST BE RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 1ST. NO registrations will be accepted online after February 1st. If you miss this deadline, you can register onsite THE DAY OF THE FAIR at the Earle Brown Heritage Center for $35. Only cash or checks will be accepted if you register at the Fair.

Make check payable to: Minnesota State University, Mankato

If you need to send your check, please send it to:
Career Development Center
Kris Norland
209 Wigley Administration Center
Mankato, MN 56001

*Checks MUST be received by February 1st, 2015

Cancellation Policy

NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN. Please be sure you plan to attend the event before registering.

IMPORTANT: On Wednesday, February 4th or Thursday, February 5th, from 8:00am – 4:30pm, stop by the CDC (WA 209) to pick up your name tag for admittance to the Fair. You MUST have your name tag to enter the exhibit areas. If you cannot pick up your name tag at the CDC, they will be available at the Fair. A list of registered employers and their booth locations will be available the day of the Fair at the Minnesota State Mankato table.

Transportation

There will be a FREE chartered coach bus to and fbus 2rom the Job and Internship Fair for students and alumni. Registrants may choose the bus option during the online registration process, or find their own transportation to and from the Fair. Consider carpooling. If you drive, parking is FREE at the Earle Brown Heritage Center.

Bus Guidelines:

• When registering for the event, make sure you mark “yes” when asked “Would you like to reserve a seat on the bus?”
  • All seats are available on a first-come first-served basis.
  • Bus leaves MSU at 8:15am on Friday, February 6th
  • Bus leaves Earle Brown Heritage Center at 3:15pm on Friday, February 6th
  • All details about loading location will be emailed to students a week prior to event.

***There will be no check-in on the way to, or from, the Fair. Registrants MUST be on time to depart at the scheduled times. If you only intend to take the bus one-way (to or from the Fair), select “Yes” on your registration***

Preparation

Visit the Minnesota State Universities Job and Internship Fair site www.mnsujobfair.org for a list of all registered employers and information about their organizations. If you have questions, please contact the CDC at 507.389.6061

Please check out the links below for additional important information:

CDC QuickStop

CDC staff can help students with Quick job search questions, resume reviews, interviewing tips, exploring majors, MavJobs, and much more

• 11am-1:45pm Monday through Friday, 209 Wigley Administration
  • Students/Alumni are seen on a first come first served basis – no appointment needed.
  • Sessions are limited to a maximum of 10-15 minutes.
  • Bring a rough draft (hard copy) of resume, cover letter, or other materials for review.

“To prepare for the Job and Internship Fair in Minneapolis… I started early… I revised my resume again and had it looked over at the CDC… I signed up and paid early to make sure that I was guaranteed a spot at the fair and on the bus… I took off work and talked to my professors ahead of time and gave them a heads up that I was going to be gone… I researched the companies I was interested in and posted my newly revised resume on the Job and Internship website… I had my sales pitch ready, a new outfit, and a nice black portfolio, and plenty of resumes to hand out… I was good to go!… When time came along for my biggest one of the day, I nailed it… I had a good time, learned a lot, and got my foot in the door (or maybe just a big not but it is better than nothing) for the internship of my dreams.” – Finance Student

If you have a disability and need special accommodations for any of the above events, please contact the Career Development Center at (507) 389-6061, or stop in WA 209, by January 20th, 2015.

This document is available in alternative format by calling: 507-389-6061 (V) or 1-800-627-3529 (MRS/TTY).

-Career Development Center

Print