ANDREW TRENNE: Devoted to Getting Involved to Make a Difference, Not for Rewards

RETURN to the inSIDER

Each semester, the Centennial Student Union recognized eight outstanding students who excel as leaders in the campus community or within the CSU student staff. The BEST Board, the 55-foot display in the CSU Hearth Lounge, is a way of Boasting Exceptional Student Talent. This eight-part series offers a glimpse of each of those student leaders for Spring 2021.

Andrew Trenne of Chaska, Minn., is the 2020-21 Student Government President. In his nomination, he is recognized for guiding Student Government through a pandemic year while student government advance such efforts as the Immigration Attorney program for students and the Maverick Food Pantry. “Andrew has exhibited exemplary leadership,” the nomination for Andrew stated. “He is persistent, he asks good questions, and he follows through on commitments.  He wisely picks battles, and he is a strong advocate for what he believes in.  He works well with peers and faculty/staff/administrators alike.” Andrew has also been active in the Residence Hall Association.

Using your own experience, what advice for personal fulfillment and college enrichment would you offer to fellow students?

ANDREW: “I would tell my fellow students to keep going and get involved. What you do in the classroom is only half the experience, and if you get involved in RSO’s or other organizations (even ones not affiliated with the University), you will truly get the most out of being a student. I learned way more outside of the classroom than I truly did in the classroom, and I attribute this to our great RSO’s and Student Activities folks who have helped grow me not only as a student but as a leader. So, when people tell you to “get involved,” don’t brush it off but truly seek it out.”

We often get asked, “How do I get on the BEST Board?” What do you think helped earn you your BEST Board distinction?

ANDREW: “I think the thing that helped earn my BEST board distinction is by being involved but not expecting to be rewarded for that involvement. You absolutely shouldn’t do things just to get an award or recognized for it but instead, do things that you enjoy and are passionate about. For me, that was my service in Student Government leadership and many other things I have been a part of during my time as a Maverick.”

Why did you pick the quote used on the BEST Board? Please provide some background.

ANDREW: “The quote I picked is, “Student Leadership has helped me experience things that I could never learn in the classroom. I wouldn’t have enjoyed college without these experiences”. I picked this quote because it’s what defined my time as a Maverick and has shaped my life going forward. When I was in High School, I was not involved in anything, and I didn’t feel a real connection to my school. I don’t even have strong memories or any personal growth from when I was in High School. When I came to Minnesota State University, Mankato, I quickly got involved in RHA and Student Government and quickly made friends, learned life skills, and learned about my leadership style and how I can be an advocate. Because of this involvement and my educational experiences, a lot of doors have opened for me as a result, and that’s why I picked that quote. I truly believe everyone should get involved in some capacity while they are a Maverick.”

What involvement or leadership experience at Minnesota State Mankato best defines you, your interests, or your proudest moment? 

ANDREW: “I would say my time as Student Body Vice President and now as Student Body President. Just seeing how I can help my peers be successful really puts a smile on my face and gets me through other hardships I have faced. I think also being able to meet other students, faculty, staff, and administrators has been really enjoyable. Because I am a senior, I also reflect back upon my High Schools years, and I compare them to now and to see the growth I have gone through is great, and I am proud of everything I have done as a Maverick.”

Where do you hope to take your college education earned at Minnesota State Mankato (what are your career aspirations)?

ANDREW: “I hope to someday get into an elected office to serve those in my community.”

What words of wisdom would you share in these unusual times?

ANDREW: “Keep going. Things may not be in our favor with COVID-19 and other things that have really made 2020/2021 unique and unusual but don’t stop bettering yourself. Focus on what’s important so that when we go back to normal, you will keep going forward. This could be in your job, academics, etc. Don’t let the bad stop you from achieving all the good.”

RETURN to the inSIDER