Becoming a Better You: Finding The Passion for Fitness

by BLAKE PIESCHKE, CSU Public Relations Intern

RETURN to the inSIDER

From my birth to my first year after graduating high school, I was never the athletic type or build. Physical activity and sports outside of golf never had my interest. I tried expanding my interests by joining track instead of golf my sophomore year in high school and decided it was too much for me after two years.

After graduating high school, I worked full time at a ShopKo in Hutchinson, Minn., because I had no clear interest in a career. After being out of school for a year, I had gained 20 pounds and was ashamed of my body. I guess Pringles and Cosmic Brownies for break food wasn’t a good combination.

My first conclusive evidence that I desperately needed to make a change was when I tried on a custom shirt I ordered, and it fit too tight and made my chest visibly unappealing. I decided I needed to get a gym membership and get my health in order.

But my fears of actually committing and feeling judged prevented me from getting a membership. I’m a person who tends to have trouble leaving their comfort zone. I kept telling myself I would get it the next week. That next week would turn into two months.

Looking back at things, I can assure you I made a mistake waiting that long because it turned out to be the best decision of my life. It all started at a Snap Fitness across the street from where I worked. This journey has blessed me with plenty of knowledge and experiences. I am going on six years strong of this lifestyle. Fitness has become one of my biggest passions.

I want to share this passion and my experiences to help others leave their comfort zone, educate them more and show that a fitness lifestyle can be simpler than people expect. Overall, I want to help people feel better about themselves, their body and help make this life easier.

RETURN to the inSIDER

Blake Pieschke is a CSU Public Relations Intern and a senior studying Mass Media at Minnesota State University, Mankato. Blake is from Glencoe, MN and has a passion for sports, fitness, and the outdoors. He plans on pursuing a career in sports journalism when his college career is over.