University Library Services Receives 97 Reels of Area Newspaper Historical Microfilm

From University Media News

Researchers now have access to historical pages from Mankato area newspapers, circa 1879 to 1947, found on 97 reels of microfilm thanks to a new grant-funded acquisition by University Library Services.

The reels are housed in the microfilm collection of Minnesota State Mankato’s Marilyn J. Lass Center for Minnesota Studies. The new acquisition, which supports student research and provides a source of detailed local history, was funded in part through Minnesota Historical and Cultural Heritage Grant the Minnesota Historical Society.

The microfilm includes 39 reels of Mankato Weekly Free Press newspaper issues published between 1879 and 1923; eight reels of the Mankato Post, a German-language newspaper, including issues published between 1887 and 1918; and six reels of the North Mankato Review newspaper, with issues from 1921-1923 and 1935-1947.

Other publications in the collection are issues from 1940-1950 of the Mankato High News, which was published by Mankato High School; issues of a newspaper called the Legionnaire or Mankato Legionnaire that was published by Mankato’s American Legion Lorentz Post 11 from 1933-1972; and the Kato Engineering News, an official publication of the Kato Engineering Company from 1956-1960.

A complete listing of microfilm content is available by contacting Heidi Southworth, associate professor and digital initiatives librarian.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.