MNSU Campus Security: Familiarize Yourself with Our Security Services

Afure Adah

by AFURE ADAH, CSU PR Student Assistant

Safety has always been an issue but in today’s day and age, things like, theft, assault and even human trafficking are becoming more prevalent. So here I will give you some info for staying safe on campus.
To stay safe on campus it is important to know the school’s security services. Here at MSU Mankato the security services that are specifically aimed to keep you safe and comfortable are:

Emergency phones
• Safe walk service
• Patrol & EMT

Emergency Phones
All over campus are emergency phones for easy communications with university security. They are bright blue and well lit, so they are easy to spot. If you would like to see a map of all their locations, I have one linked.

http://blog.mnsu.edu/csu/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/emergencyphones2015.pdf

Safe Walk Services
Our safe walk services provide a walking escort 24/7, year-round, to and from any university building, parking lot, or residence community. To request a Safe Walk, call University Security at (507)-389-2111.

I live off campus, about a 15-minute walk, and sometimes I am on campus super late and my bus isn’t running anymore, so I have to walk home. Not everyone has to walk all the way home, but there are students that park their cars in the lots that are a bit of a walk from the school and are often in a similar position as me.
I haven’t used this service yet, but during summer classes when my friends are not on campus or in town to walk with me or pick me up, I’ll probably give it a try. Better to be safe than sorry!

Patrol & EMT

As a student here, I have always noticed Security patrolling in the evenings, checking classrooms, and locked doors, making sure no one is where they are not supposed to be.
But the University Security Patrol unit is available 24/7, 365 days a year to perform the following duties:

• Provide 24/7, 365, vehicle and foot patrols
• Investigate theft, vandalism, and other crimes
• Security for campus events
• Help faculty, staff, students, and visitors
• Compile info for MSU incident reports
• Act as a liaison with the Mankato Department of Public Safety

EMTs and First Responders are employed by the University Security to respond and provide care for injuries, or illnesses on campus. In addition, they work closely with Health Services, and Gold Cross Ambulance Service.

If You would like more information, Campus Security’s page will be linked below.

https://www.mnsu.edu/security/services/