Res Life Offers ‘Connection’ and ‘Success’ As Students Readjust From COVID

Impacted by COVID, students are living on campus for convenience, connection and success.

By ANGELA MURPHY, CSU Communications Student Assistant 

While COVID-19 disrupted the traditional college experience, living on campus has been a convenient choice toward “normal.”

• “To feel more comfortable finding my way around campus and not have to worry about finding a parking spot or trying to decide when I should leave my apartment to make it to class on time. I also wanted to have the ‘full college experience’ if you will, so living on campus my first year checked that off for me.” – Olivia, a current freshman living in Julia Sears. 
  • “It was easier since everything I needed was super close and I don’t have a license, so I didn’t have to worry about transportation.” – Sam, a current Junior.  
  • “I wanted the full college experience. Plus, I didn’t know anyone to room with, so I didn’t want to get an apartment. It was so convenient living on campus and being close to all my classes. I miss it sometimes.”Katherine, a current senior.  
  • I wanted a more normal first year of college. COVID took away most of my senior year and I want to make up for that by living on campus this year” –Josh, a current Freshman living in Crawford.  
  • COVID took away the major parts of being a (high school) senior for me. I chose to come live on campus so I could make connections and fall in love with school again. I didn’t want to stay home and attempt to do my schoolwork when I knew I couldn’t. Living on campus gave me the opportunity to join student organizations and get my schoolwork done while many stayed home. I as well met my best friend getting my mail at 1 a.m. It was the best decision I made.” – Abby, a current Sophomore. 
  • “I met some of my closest friends living on campus. You never know when you will meet someone. I was sitting at the front desk during the day and met my current roommate.”Sarah, a current Sophomore 

While students are finding their place through residential hall living, professional res life staff work to reach and assist students.

Cindy Janney, dean of students and Residential Life director, said living on-campus offers benefits in and out of the classroom

“Two big benefits, connection and academic success. Connection is going to be a major benefit because living on campus is the way to meet other people,” Janney explained. “Students are more connected to staff as well. We have staff that are there to help students. We make sure we can support our students. 

“Academic success is the second benefit,” she added. “Our data shows that first and second-year students have a higher GPA than students who do not live on campus. They have a high academic success rate and are less likely to transfer.”

Living in a residence hall offers valuable social learning outside the classroom.

“My biggest tip is to meet people and listen to them,” Janney said. “This is a moment in life that you get to live closer to people who are different from you. And that opportunity to learn. This was a good time for you to learn while living on campus, it can help you in the future. Reach out to the other students on your floor, it will open your culture.” 

In addition to a safe and convenient place to live, students residing on campus find close-at-hand professionals trained and dedicated to supporting students.

“We have actively engaged staff with the students. We know what students as a group experience in this stage of life. We actively try to support students with this transition,” Janney said. “We try to make it seamless for the support that they need.”