by GABBIE KEERAN, CSU Public Relations Intern
A variety of activities are planned through the Violence Awareness and Response Program at Minnesota State Mankato in conjunction with Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
Laura Schultz, director of VARP, said among events this month is the Friday, April 9, noon-hour session on Supporting Student Survivors that offers training to University faculty and staff.
“There is no “right time” to talk about a personal case. It is whenever the victim or survivor is ready. This could be right away or this could be years after the sexual assault occurred.” Schultz shared.
Other events during the month of April include:
- Friday, April 16, 12 p.m., Release of the “Warrior”
- A recorded performance from the Minnesota State Mankato Choral Department.
- Thursday, April 22, 6 to 7 p.m., How to be a Friend: Supporting Survivors of Sexual Assault
- A conversation with Minnesota State Mankato students.
- Wednesday, April 28, Denim Day
- Display solidarity for survivors of sexual assault by wearing denim.
- Thursday, April 29, 5 to 6 p.m., Violence Free Zone Training
- Training for Minnesota State Mankato faculty and students.
To find more information visit Violence Awareness and Response Program | Minnesota State University, Mankato or Violence Awareness and Response Program | Facebook.
VARP is available to all students of gender identity and are welcome to use services and offers a variety of services and resources available to help students who may be struggling with past trauma involving any form of sexual assault or abuse.
Schultz added that VARP offers confidential advocacy, programming and education for victims or survivors of relationship abuse and sexual violence.
Support services available include resources and referrals, crisis intervention, prevention and risk-reduction, volunteer and internship opportunities, training opportunities, and peer education. To access these services contact 507-389-5127, or visit CSU 218.
A support group is available on campus each semester for students who are victims or survivors of sexual assault.
For resources for victims, survivors, family and friends visit here. How to help a victim, safety tips, and educational resources can be found.