BEST Board F’24: Abdalla Mohamed’s Memorable Maverick Moment Was Getting His MavCARD

As a Lead Building Assistant with the Centennial Student Union Operations Team, Abdalla (Abdul) Mohamed has earned a level of responsibility through his attention to detail, strong work ethic and a genuine caring nature.

Such leadership advances the Ops team efforts for providing setup, support and services to activities and events within the CSU

“He possesses a sharp eye for detail, often catching important aspects that others might miss,” his BEST Board nominator said. “When situations call for it, Abdul takes charge with confidence and skill, ensuring that tasks are completed efficiently and effectively. This willingness to go the extra miles and his ability to problem-solve have earned him the respect and admiration of both students and professional staff members.”

The high standard, he sets for himself inspires others to do the same, his nominator added.

Because of his work within the CSU, Abdul stays informed on events in the CSU and makes it a point to participate. This has helped him build strong relationships within different student organizations. An upbeat personality and outlook have helped him build a wide network of connections across campus.

“Abdul’s positive attitude and fun personality make a lasting impression,” his nominator said. “Whether he’s on duty or simply on campus for school or fun, he carries himself with grace and integrity, representing the CSU community in the best possible light.”

Let’s learn more about Abdul:

Abdalla Mohamed
Home: Khartoum, Sudan
Major: Mass Media
Graduation Date: Fall 2024

Reflecting on your time in leadership roles or as a student employee in the student union, how do you believe these experiences have contributed to your college experience?

“Being a Lead Building Assistant (LBA) at the CSU helped in bringing my college experience together. Without it, I would have never been able to hear all the amazing things that my fellow students are doing throughout the semester or the stories they brought to the CSU from their home country. Having it being a safe place for all students and faculty members helped carve a lot of unforgettable memories with many people in my mind. Through my job, I was able to engage with many different beneficial events that helped me learn and understand more about many things not just academically but socially as well. Being an LBA did not just help in building my skills but also my college experience overall.”

How have those experiences contributed to your personal growth and development as an individual?

“By meeting new people from different backgrounds, I understand every day about a new culture, things like what they celebrate, how they talk, norms they engage in, and many more things that are essential in shaping me into who I am today. The different events that I have taken part in by building their setups and seeing the amazing work our associations, university, and event coordinators do show me how all of the teams involved can work together to help make amazing memories. Those experiences helped direct me to path that I want to pursue. My job with Operations helped me network with many individuals who don’t share the same values which helped me have an open mind to differences, which I didn’t have a lot of back in my country. All of those experiences helped in making me the person I am today.”

Provide one or more detailed examples where your campus involvement/work experience made you a better leader.

“In my time as a Lead Building Assistant for the Ops team, I have learned how to communicate more. Communication is key in helping operations run smoothly. Talking to operation assistants, event organizers, tech crew, catering crew, and my higher management helped to put things into perspective for me. Without communications, teams cannot operate. It’s an important rule that I will always use as a leader. Being involved on campus can come with many responsibilities and time-consuming tasks. Being organized and on top of everything is also something that being involved on campus helped me with. giving me the basics of having a schedule and completing tasks on time.”

How do you see yourself carrying the lessons and skills you gained from your leadership and/or student union work experience into your future endeavors or career path?

“Having a positive and active team spirit like the one my team in Operations had is something I want to see in any team I work with in the future. I will help in ensuring that I have that spirit in my team. The management skills that my managers have taught me in my time on the Ops Team are also essential to me and the application of the skills that I have obtained in my workplace.”

What advice would you give to fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience?

“Network as much as possible. By doing that you will gain more knowledge and skills than you have ever imagined. Talk to students, professors, and faculty members. All of those individuals have something to offer and it’s up for grabs. Take the opportunity get out of your comfort zone and engage with people. This is the time for it.”

Throughout your college experience at Minnesota State Mankato, what has provided the greatest personal growth, memories, satisfaction and/or personal pride?

“Being part of Minnesota State University, Mankato; without MNSU I would have never been able to be who I am today. All of the campus and off-campus activities and adventures I have been in helped in making me. That could have never been achieved if I hadn’t been part of this institution. I will always be proud of my time here.”

What does being a Maverick mean to you?

“Being a Maverick means that you are a free-spirited person who thinks outside the box and helps in making your community and environment no matter what or where it is better. It also means that you are part of a greater community that will always help, inspire, and motivate you at all times.”

What special “lifelong” memory of college that will remain with you years after Minnesota State Mankato?

“Seeing my MavCARD for the first time. Will never forget the feeling of pride I had being the first in my family studying abroad.’