BEST Board F’24: Lexi Pedersen’s Leadership Qualities Advance Student Events Team Visibility

Since becoming the Social Media and Marketing Chair for the Student Events Team, Lexi Pedersen’s communication skills and tenacity helped drive a 400 percent increase in the group’s social media reach. Those are just two of her leadership qualities recognized by her BEST Board nominator.

“With Lexi what you see is what you get, and what you get is an amazingly kind and caring person. Her genuine character is very attractive to those looking to follow,’ her nominator said. “She jumped into an already established group and inserted herself as a leader, follower, and collaborator.”

As social media chair, Lexi took a deep dive into social media best practices and began implementing the ideas that led to increased reach and efficiency. She also worked to show the Student Events Team in a more personal light with such social media posts as featuring members enjoying Spring Break.

“Without a doubt, she is the most talented, organized, and competitive social media chair the Student Events Team has ever had.”

Citing her BEST Board qualities, her nominator sees a leader seeking to elevate and advance the group.

“She brings an infectious fun atmosphere and strives to meet the needs of others while advancing the mission of the institution. Lexi carefully challenges others’ points of view with sensitivity and a deliberative calmness; not to win an argument, but rather to advance those individuals and their organizations,” her nominator said. “She is the perfect example of a student ready to lead with incredible positivity, perseverance, and compassion for others.”

LET’S LEARN MORE ABOUT LEXI:

Hometown: Jordan, Minn.
Major: Public Relations
Graduation Date: May 2025

Reflecting on your time in leadership roles or as a student employee in the student union, how do you believe these experiences have contributed to your college experience?

“They have contributed to my college experience because I got to feel a part of campus and make a difference in the campus. I got to meet so many new people and I have experienced so many opportunities I never would have gotten to experience. It has made college feel like home!”

How have those experiences contributed to your personal growth and development as an individual?

“These experiences have helped lay a foundation for my future because with my position as the social media and marketing chair it led me to where I want to go with my future. I want to work social media as a job so this position helped me learn the behind-the-scenes and other factors of social media that is often overlooked.”

How do you see yourself carrying the lessons and skills you gained from your leadership and/or student union work experience into your future endeavors or career path?

“Some lessons or skills I have gained from my leadership position are communication and teamwork. Communication is key in any leadership role, and I’ve learned to change my communication style to different audiences and situations, which will be valuable in any professional setting. I’ve also learned how to work with all types of individuals with different strengths and weaknesses to achieve a common goal. Which is essential in the workplace.”

What advice would you give to fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience?

“Two pieces of advice I would give to fellow students in helping them make the most out of their college experience is getting involved, building relationships, and stepping out of their comfort zone. Doing these things will maximize your time in college and help prepare you for your future.”

What does being a Maverick mean to you?

“Being a Maverick means embracing your ideas and dreams, and making a change along with inspiring others to do the same. Always striving to be better and for greatness.”

What special “lifelong” memory of college that will remain with you years after Minnesota State Mankato?

“A lifelong memory would be being able to live with my best friends for 3 years and the MSU football games!”