Maverick Spotlight: Football Star TreShawn Watson Relies on His Pre-Game Prayer Ritual

Maverick Spotlight offers a glimpse at some of the athletes making the MSU Mavericks an athletic powerhouse.

SPX Sport photos by Jackson Forderer

By JADELYN JACKSON, CSU Communications Student Intern

TreShawn Watson

Star-studded junior wide receiver, TreShawn Watson lit up the month of September with top-notch stats.

Even after not playing in the Sept. 28 matchup against Concordia St. Paul, the 6’4, 200-pounder from Chicago, Ill., headed into the Oct. 5 Homecoming game against Sioux Falls with six touchdowns, three coming from a brawl against Bemidji State. In that game, Watson had only five receptions but created three scores for the Mavericks.

After five games, the junior has 393 yards from 19 receptions.

FUN FACTS ABOUT TRESHAWN

What was your favorite game or moment from this month? 

“My favorite game this month was the Week 2 game vs. Bemidji. Playing Bemidji is always going to be tough because they’re greatly coached and play with high physicality. From the start, we knew it was going to be a dog fight until the last second, these are the kind of games football players live for. I also chose this game as my favorite because it was the largest home opener attendance in Minnesota State history, playing in front of a sold-out Blakeslee stadium is one of a kind.”

What professional players have you idolized within your sport? What makes them so influential to you? 

“Minnesota Vikings Wide receiver Justin Jefferson, I watch and study his route running all the time. He is influential to me because I have been a Vikings fan my whole life and with being a wide receiver myself it’s awesome to have the best pro receiver on my favorite NFL team. It allows me to cheer on my team, while dissecting his route running and the way he approaches the field.”

What are you looking forward to most in October? 

“I’m looking forward to continuing this football journey with my brothers as we continue conference play. I think we have a special team here at Minnesota State University and I go to practice every day fired up to be able to have the opportunity to do it with my teammates that I love!”

What is your major/minor? 

“My major is Sports Management, and my minor is Marketing.”

What is your favorite holiday?

“My favorite holiday is Christmas hands down. The opportunity to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior and to spend quality time with those you love is always great.”

Favorite pregame ritual?

“Talking and praying to Jesus Christ. It allows me to be level headed before kickoff. Feeling in control and at peace before the game allows me to play at my best.”

What is your favorite cereal? 

“My favorite cereal is Cinnamon Toast Crunch, it’s delicious.”