Author JP Mackey Blends Artistic Passions to Create Illustrated Books for All Ages

University Graphic Designer James Mackey Answers Our Questions

By LENNY KOUPAL, CSU Communications Coordinator

On his Amazon page for The House of Ichabod Strange–author JP Mackey’s 2010 self-illustrated collection of stories–his author’s bio is a bit cryptic.

It reads: “James (JP) Mackey is supposedly an author and illustrator hailing from the Midwest. Reports of his continued existence remain unverified. Circumstantial evidence purports he works as a graphic designer at some university or other and enjoys anchovies on his pizza. Some say he resides with his three sons in a poorly lit home with a cat who sounds like a squeaky door.”

Ambiguity aside, his words expose the heart of a storyteller. At Minnesota State Mankato, James Mackey often works behind the scenes as a gifted graphic designer with Creative Productions, the University’s in-house print shop. It’s a livelihood that grew from a life-long love for creating illustrated stories that he has shaped, at last count, into seven illustrated books for all ages. Along with his books, Mackey also publishes his monthly free magazine, CRAP!, which often finds its way in and around several Mankato and Minneapolis area businesses.

On Wednesday, March 20, Mackey will lead an evening Author Talk at 7 p.m. in the Memorial Library. The gathering will be in the southwest corner of the first floor. We caught up with the author JP Mackey who answered a few questions that help us get to know him and his artistic passions.

Q: Tell us a bit about yourself? How long have you been a graphic designer with Creative Productions?

JP: “I’ve been with the University for seven years as of March 7.”

Which came first art/graphic design or writing?

JP: “I’ve always been a storyteller with pictures. Even before I was able to read, I loved illustrated stories, comics especially, and would create my own (instead of whatever I was supposed to be working on in class). My homework margins were always a clutter of narratives unrelated to the topic at hand.  So, I suppose I did art, graphic design and writing,  all at the same time.”

When and how did you develop an interest in authoring books? 

JP:Writing and illustrating books has always been my goal for a career. It’s not an easy field to pay the bills with, however, so I’ve had to do a lot of other things first.

How many books have you written?

JP: I currently have seven published books that I consider ‘official’ (Medium Sausage with Anchovies, The House of Ichabod Strange, The Tormenting of the Gingerbread Boy, Bernie and the Deadbeats, The Wanderer, Faster Than Speed, and Ichabod Strange Bounces Back). However, there are probably a half dozen or so titles floating around in thrift stores that I put out when I was very green. I’d gladly sell my left kidney to erase them from existence. Other than that, I did produce a monthly publication called ‘CRAP! Magazine’, which ran from 2019-2023. That one’s on hiatus, and I might go back to it again someday.

I assume all your books feature your own illustrations, correct?

JP: “Yep, I’m a package deal. I’ve illustrated other people’s books before but it’s not really my thing.”

What interests you about writing children’s books? (Actually, his illustrated books are for all ages with some reaching 100-200 pages in length).

JP: I don’t know that it’s necessarily children that I’m writing for, it’s that I like having visual accompaniment to my writing. As a result, people either lump it in with either children’s books or comics. That being said, children are a very rewarding audience. Most adults are set in their ways, but you have a real chance to impact a child’s entire life with a good story.

What inspires you when selecting a theme for your books?

JP: “Mostly I just write what I’m interested in. In fact, if it’s not a subject I’m already engrossed with, I’ll lose interest halfway through and not finish the project (which is why The Tormenting of the Gingerbread Boy comes with a parental warning).

Are people surprised to learn you are a children’s book author?

JP: “No one who knows me personally, anyway. I don’t know, I suppose I don’t really look like a children’s author. But then again, neither did Shel Silverstein. Not that I’m saying I’m Shel Silverstein, but if he could pull it off, why can’t I?

What will be the focus of your library presentation next week? 

JP: “Good question, this is uncharted territory for me (author talks). I’ve been doing the research on what people expect to hear at these things, and the consensus seems to be to talk about myself. That seems a bit self-centered, so I might just go completely off the rails and rant about how awesome Frog and Toad books are. But who knows, anything could happen.”