BEST BOARD F’23: Jonah Maurer Sets the Bar for Consistent and Welcoming Bullpen Service

On Jonah Maurer’s application for the lead role among Maverick Bullpen student staff, he was asked what he would do to ensure a high standard for customer experience.

“The one thing I would do to ensure a high standard of satisfaction at the Bullpen is being consistent,” was his response. “The customer should expect a clean and welcoming environment when they arrive. Not just at the beginning of the semester, but every time they come…. As long as the customer is having fun and enjoying their time, we are doing our job.”

In his nomination for the BEST Board, Jonah, as a Bullpen lead, was credited for creating a culture of consistency and customer service among his fellow student staff.

In fact, when reviewing the performance of several new Bullpen employees as part of a weekly management meeting, Jonah’s peers often stated, “they are the new Jonah” in recognition of the high standard he has set as an employee.

That example of leadership led to his nomination and selection to the Fall 2023 BEST Board.

LET’S GET TO KNOW MORE ABOUT JONAH:

Name: Jonah Maurer

Hometown: Rogers, Minn.

Major: Marketing

Expected Graduation: December 2023

Campus and/or CSU Involvement: Maverick Bullpen Lead, Video Production Assistant for Alumni Foundation Center

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR COLLEGE EXPERIENCE?

Campus employment has been one of the biggest blessings I’ve received here at MNSU. I have been able to work on my leadership skills, create lifelong friendships, and learn from professionals. It has also taught me more about the campus culture and what being a Maverick is all about.

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR FUTURE?

Campus employment has enhanced my future by teaching me professional and life skills that I can use later on in life. It gave me the opportunity to work on my business skill in a real-world environment. It is almost like a mini-internship.

How has campus involvement/campus employment enhanced YOUR LIFE? How are you different today than you were on your first day of college?

I am different now than I was on the first day of college because I feel more comfortable on campus. I feel like I can walk around campus and help younger students out, but also make friends with anyone that I see.

Provide one or more detailed examples where your campus involvement/work experience made you a better leader.

Being a lead, you are put into tough situations sometimes with staff drama. For example, if some staff members don’t like someone else on the staff, you have to problem-solve and get them to work out their differences. Not only to keep to staff morale high but also to keep the culture of the Bullpen light and enjoyable.

What advice would you share with fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience?

My advice to future students is to get out there and get involved. I know it sounds cliche, but it’ll make your college experience that much better. Also, you can do anything you put your mind to. As long as you are willing to work for it.

Throughout your college experience at Minnesota State Mankato, what has provided the greatest personal growth, memories, satisfaction and/or personal pride.

Growing in my faith has provided the most growth for me here at MNSU. Going to college is a great time to learn more about yourself and slowly become a young adult. I’ve made plenty of mistakes, but I’m glad that I did. Sometimes making mistakes is the best way to learn.

Share a special “lifelong” memory of college you will take with you when you leave Minnesota State Mankato. 

A special lifelong memory I will take with me when I graduate is movie night with the guys. It was always nice as the end of a long, hard week to sit down and watch a movie with all of your friends.