BEST Board F’24: Amalia Sharaf Takes Multitasking to a Whole New Level

In recommending Amalia Sharaf for the BEST Board, her nominator was impressed with her multitasking abilities.

“Quite frankly, I don’t know how Amal does all that she does,” her nominator said. “Her impact and reach is felt both on campus and beyond. Not only is she an outstanding leader, but she is also fully engaged in pursuits related to her academic journey.”

Her list of accomplishments and involvement is impressive. In addition to being involved in Student Government, Amal has worked for The Reporter as a writer. She has also been a member of the University Honors Program, a MavPASS Leader, a Research Assistant, Graphic Designer for the Kearney Center, and more. She presented her research at a symposium at MSU in 2023, and she won an award for Outstanding Presentation.

Let’s learn more about Amalia:

Amalia Sharaf
Home: Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Major: Cognitive Science

Reflecting on your time in leadership roles or as a student employee in the student union, how do you believe these experiences have contributed to your college experience?

“During my time at MSU I had to experience a lot of fun things, all of which have greatly contributed to my experience in the college. I’ve had the privilege of engaging with peers from diverse backgrounds, forging lifelong friendships, honing invaluable skills, and gaining a broader perspective on various issues. Staff and faculty members with whom I interacted throughout the years here made a significant difference in where I am right now. They’ve helped me achieve all the goals I’ve set, which is very satisfying! My involvement in research activities, student government, and other RSOs and organizations have enriched my college journey beyond measure. They’ve not only enhanced my academic pursuits but also enriched my personal growth, making my college experience truly exceptional.”

How have those experiences contributed to your personal growth and development as an individual?

The experiences I had as a student here at MSU made me grow professionally. Leadership positions that I’ve got a chance to hold taught me about important things in interactions between people. I became more aware of the real-world issues that need attention from us, growing generations of leaders, who will step up and do their best to help. As MavPASS leader I learned essential skills, such as active listening, that are useful not only during the sessions but in any aspect of life. My countless interactions with Undergraduate Research Center helped me develop critical thinking and approach questions creatively and scientifically. Maverick Global Ambassadors taught me how to work in the team to achieve the common goal, how to resolve issues, and act professionally no matter what obstacle we encounter.

Provide one or more detailed examples where your campus involvement/work experience made you a better leader.

“Being a leader doesn’t imply having all the answers or being perfect. It doesn’t mean never making mistakes or never facing challenges. Leadership involves learning, adapting, and sometimes even failing, but it’s about resilience, growth, and inspiring others despite obstacles. This is what I learned as part of the Honors Program and as part of my experience as supplemental instructor for MavPASS. These organizations provided many opportunities to try myself as a leader in different roles and I’ve got to experience how my leadership style may affect others.

“MavPASS staff helped us create welcoming and inclusive space for every student. This way we bridge the gaps in education, making it equitable for MSU population. I had to learn how to adapt to the needs of the student and how to make the information accessible and understandable for everyone in the group. Attaining this goal requires dedication and perseverance.

“The Honors Program facilitated introspection regarding my personal evolution over time and the transformative impact of my experiences. These contemplations serve as more than mere reflections; they allow us to pause for discerning the appropriateness of one’s trajectory. This opportunity prompted me to consider adjustments needed to enhance leadership qualities across various spheres, thereby fostering both personal development and the cultivation of future leaders.”

How do you see yourself carrying the lessons and skills you gained from your leadership and/or student union work experience into your future endeavors or career path?

“I envision integrating the invaluable lessons and skills acquired into my future endeavors and career path. These experiences have honed my ability to collaborate effectively, communicate persuasively, and navigate diverse environments. Additionally, they have cultivated resilience, adaptability, and a commitment to continuous growth. As I move forward, I intend to leverage these competencies to contribute meaningfully, lead by example, and inspire positive change within my chosen profession or field of endeavor.”

What advice would you give to fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience?

“Be curious, explore, and learn to adapt. Take the opportunities that are given to you to explore the fields you are less comfortable learning about and this is what will take you far and provide growth.”

Throughout your college experience at Minnesota State Mankato, what has provided the greatest personal growth, memories, satisfaction and/or personal pride.

“No single entity or individual holds the greatest influence; rather, it’s the mix of my varied experiences that has enabled me to discern my identity as a leader, individual, confidant, and professional. I’m deeply grateful to those who surrounded me, offering invaluable opportunities. Minnesota State University, encompassing a supportive environment, fostered my personal and professional growth, facilitating explorations beyond my initial expectations.”

What does being a Maverick mean to you?

“Being a Maverick means being ready to step up and take a leap of faith, knowing that whatever happens, you will have support and you will have the opportunity to support others. Being a Maverick means working hard to provide inclusive and equitable space. Mavericks are ready to make positive change and do their best to ensure the prosperity in the community.”

What special “lifelong” memory of college that will remain with you years after Minnesota State Mankato?

“The friendships forged, the camaraderie among peers, the guidance from faculty mentors, and the collaboration with incredible staff — all are cherished memories that will endure, serving as a testament to the remarkable community to which I once belonged.”