RYAN LEISTIKOW: Enhancing Students’ Campus Experience is a Driving Force for Involvement

The nomination for Ryan Leistikow recognized his great works leading the Student Events Team, particularly through the pandemic. Thinking outside the box, he helped keep students connected through virtual, online events.

“From pushing the envelope with new programming to an unrelenting work ethic, Ryan has been the student leader who makes things happen,” his nominator stated.

Ryan was further recognized for his Maverick Pride. “Ryan is a very committed individual who bleeds purple and gold. His day-to-day conversation typically revolves around how he can make this campus better through service to his RSO, his friends, and Maverick spirit.  I saw Ryan at his best during Welcome Week working with incoming students. He loved having conversations with incoming students about how they were going to get involved. Each one of those students walked away feeling valued, wanted, and excited about their time at MNSU.”

Name: Ryan Leistikow

Hometown: Barron Wisconsin

Major: Recreation and Parks Leadership Studies

Graduate Date: Fall 2023

Campus Involvement: Past President, Student Events Team; Student Government; Rec Club

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR COLLEGE EXPERIENCE?Being involved on campus has made my experience at MSU incredibly fulfilling. By being involved I was able to feel a stronger connection to campus. It allowed me to meet and interact with other great student leaders I wouldn’t have met if I didn’t get involved.

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR FUTURE?

By being involved on the Student Events Team, I learned I could take something I enjoy and make it a career. Event planning was something I found to be very enjoyable but I never thought I could make a career out of it. However, the Student Events Team taught me this is a career. Student Events Team provided me with the real-world event planning experience I need to get a head start in my career.

What advice would you share with fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience?

Get involved and get uncomfortable. Getting involved is one of the best things you can do in college. The friends you make when you get involved are long-lasting friends that you may not have met otherwise. Also getting uncomfortable. Staying in your comfort zone stifles growth.

Share a special “lifelong” memory of college you will take with you when you leave Minnesota State Mankato. 

I will never forget Mavfest. Being on the PA lawn with so many different organizations having a great night listening to great music is always a highlight from my time at MSU.