ALLISON ALLEN: An Aspiring Teacher Taking Time To Reflect On Personal Growth

Each semester, the Centennial Student Union recognized eight outstanding students who excel as leaders in the campus community or within the CSU student staff. The BEST Board, the 55-foot display in the CSU Hearth Lounge, is a way of Boasting Exceptional Student Talent. This eight-part series offers a glimpse of each of those student leaders for Fall 2020.

Allison Allen of Robbinsdale, Minn., will graduate with her degree in Elementary Education. The former Chair of the Centennial Student Union Board is heavily involved in Student Government and serves as a student ambassador. Allison’s proudest moments have come from her involvement with the Student Government.

RETURN to the inSIDER

Using your own experience, what advice for personal fulfillment and college enrichment would you offer to fellow students?

ALLISON: “Based on my experience, my advice would be to get involved! Whether it’s your first year here, or your last, it is never too late to join a new club or organization. Through the organizations I have been involved in, I have been able to meet new people and make wonderful friends.”

We often get asked, “How do I get on the BEST Board?” What do you think helped earn you your BEST Board distinction?

ALLISON: “I would say that my involvement through the CSU played a big part. I was the Chair of the Centennial Student Union Board, and I also work within the CSU as well.”

Why did you pick the quote used on the BEST Board? Please provide some background.

ALLISON: “I was having a hard time creating my BEST Board quote, so I reached out to a friend who is an English major and asked her to help me put my thoughts into words. I knew I wanted my quote to be about growth, because compared to my first year at MNSU, I am way more involved now than I was. I have really grown as a person since starting college, and I think being on the BEST Board is something that really shows that growth for me.”

What involvement or leadership experience at Minnesota State Mankato best defines you, your interests, or your proudest moment?

ALLISON: “I would say my involvement through Student Government best defines me. Through Student Government, I have been able to see students make real change on our campus, and it’s very inspiring. I’ve met many of my friends though Student Government, and many of my proudest moments have been because of it.”

Where do you hope to take your college education earned at Minnesota State Mankato (what are your career aspirations)?

ALLISON: “My major is Elementary Education, so my career aspiration is to be a teacher one day! One specific goal I have is to teach abroad after graduating college.”

What words of wisdom would you share in these unusual times?

ALLISON: “Wear a mask!”

RETURN to the inSIDER