BEST Board F’24: Greek Life Gave Alyssa McCullough Confidence, Sense of Purpose & Memories

Alyssa McCullough's BEST Board display

Whether it’s raising funds for sick and injured children or providing positive and calm leadership respected by her Greek Life community, Alyssa McCullough has experienced an “incredibility rewarding” college experience at Minnesota State Mankato.

The 2024 president of the Panhellenic Council offering support to all campus sororities, Alyssa’s involvement as a Sigma Sigma Sigma member has provided personal growth ranging from leadership and teamwork experience to an individual sense of purpose. That fulfilling accomplishment came from a collection of community and fundraising activities. Topping the list is coordinating the post-pandemic return of Mavathon in 2024. The daylong event raised $8,600 for the Gillette Children’s Hospital.

“For the first time in several years, she had a full exec board that she worked with to make the 2024 Mavathon a HUGE success,” her nominator said. “Alyssa’s ambition, organization, and desire to better the Greek community and overall campus community make her an exceptional leader.”

As a Panhellenic Council member, she aided sorority recruitment under a new structure. As president, she brings leadership that is focused and supportive.

“Alyssa’s outgoing and kindhearted nature made her someone that everyone wanted to be around and talk to. It has been exciting to see Alyssa continue to grow and flourish with each new opportunity and challenge that she experiences because she handles everything with such grace that is inspiring,” her nominator said.

LET’S GET TO KNOW ALYSSA

Alyssa McCullough
Hometown: Rice Lake, Wis.
Major: Finance
Graduation: Fall 2025

Reflecting on your time in leadership roles or as a student employee in the student union, how do you believe these experiences have contributed to your college experience?

“Being the Panhellenic Council and Dance Marathon president has truly defined my college experience. In these roles I have had the opportunity to learn and grow tremendously in skills from leadership and communication to event planning and teamwork. Beyond the practical skills, what really made these experiences special were the connections I made along the way. I built strong friendships and found mentors who helped guide me through tough times.

“I also found a deeper sense of purpose from these roles. Whether it was organizing fundraisers or advocating for the interests of my peers, I’ve felt a responsibility to give back to my community. It’s been incredibly rewarding to see the impact we can make when we come together for a cause.”

How have those experiences contributed to your personal growth and development as an individual?

“Serving in the roles I did was largely impacted my personal growth. Through these roles, the biggest thing I learned was how to navigate diverse situations and responsibilities with confidence. These experiences have helped create greater self-assurance and deepened my empathy and sense of social responsibility. I’ve become more resilient, adaptable, and committed to making a positive impact in my community, both during college and beyond.”

Provide one or more detailed examples where your campus involvement/work experience made you a better leader.

“Something that made me a better leader was having the encouragement of my peers to stray away from the norm and do something different or implement something that hasn’t been done for years. An example of this is when I brought Mavathon back to campus after not happening since before the pandemic. I worked very hard with a team of 9 amazing women behind me. We went out to businesses to ask for silent auction, monetary, or food donations, worked with a local company to produce shirts, and even drove to the cities to visit Gillette Children’s Hospital to see what we were making an impact on. Mavathon 2024 was an event I worked on for over a year and to see all the hard work pay off and the impact we had was an unreal feeling.

How do you see yourself carrying the lessons and skills you gained from your leadership and/or student union work experience into your future endeavors or career path?

“The leadership skills and values I’ve developed in my positions will directly impact my career path. Effective communication, teamwork, and resilience are transferable to any professional setting. I also want to continue mentoring others in my future as well as giving back to good causes and community service. These experiences have equipped me to make meaningful contributions while continually growing and learning.”

What advice would you give to fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience?

“My advice to fellow students is to embrace opportunities for personal and professional growth, both inside and outside the classroom. Get involved in campus organizations, clubs, and leadership roles that align with your interests, passions, and career goals. These experiences will increase your skills, professional networks, and bring you lifelong friends. Go to the career fair, go to the Residential Life WOW’s, go to the random involvements fairs, you never know who you might run into and where it will take you.

Throughout your college experience at Minnesota State Mankato, what has provided the greatest personal growth, memories, satisfaction and/or personal pride.

“The college experience that created the most personal growth, satisfaction, and pride was when I put on MNSU’s Dance Marathon, Mavathon. Mavathon is a year round fundraiser that raises money for Gillette Childrens Hospital and ends with a large event of fun where we celebrate all the hard work we have all put in for the past year. The 2024 Mavathon raised over $8600 for our local Gillette Childrens Hospital to help children and their families who are in need as well as purchasing updated equipment for the facilities.

What does being a Maverick mean to you?

“Being a Maverick means embracing community, growth, and opportunity. It’s about cherishing campus life, making connections, and striving for excellence in all ways of life. It’s a journey of discovery, empowerment, and shaping my future.”

What special “lifelong” memory of college that will remain with you years after Minnesota State Mankato?

“A memory that will remain with me is meeting my lifelong friends when I joined my sorority, Sigma Sigma Sigma.”