BEST Board S’24: Principled Tenacity Helps Xavier Thomas Go The Distance

In being nominated for the Spring 2024 Centennial Student Union BEST Board, Xavier Thomas was recognized as the real deal. His determination and dedication sustain him when others fall to the wayside: Here is what his nominator had to say:

“Mr. Thomas consistently enhances the well-being of MSU. Xavier is principled, perceptive, and proactive in everything he does. His work with Black Intelligent Gentlemen stands alone as a testament of his tenacity. All things considered, Xavier’s efforts and work are unmatched. There are members of our community who enjoy being front and center. They are performative, shallow, and counterproductive to our institutional goals. Alongside them are the members of our community who, like Xavier Thomas, genuinely care–he works to better himself and those around him.”

Name: Xavier Thomas
Hometown: Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
Major: Business Management
Campus Involvement: Black Intelligent Gentlemen, Student Government, Maverick Success Program
Graduation Date: May 2024

Reflecting on your time in leadership roles or as a student employee in the student union, how do you believe these experiences have contributed to your college experience?

XAVIER: “They prepared me to lead a group of diverse interests. Through multiple projects, I learn the importance of each individual value. This in return helped me better understand and place each individual one.”

How have those experiences contributed to your personal growth and development as an individual?

XAVIER: “They helped me understand my own skills, craft and personality. You learn many lessons by just listening.”

Provide one or more detailed examples where your campus involvement/work experience made you a better leader.

XAVIER: “As the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion coordinator for Student Government, I work with students from a variety of backgrounds. Recently, a few Muslim students expressed their concern with the Reflection Room. As a domestic Christian, I assume the issue was fixed last year. This was far from the truth; I’m currently helping them and other religious faiths to find proper placement for prayer. This made me a better leader by taking me above my comfort zone, since I was very uneducated before tackling this situation.”

How do you see yourself carrying the lessons and skills you gained from your leadership and/or student union work experience into your future endeavors or career path?

XAVIER: “By staying true to my gut and the lessons I learn here. The lessons are universal just different characters or pieces.”

What advice would you give to fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience?

XAVIER: “Try it all! You never know what you like or don’t. Plus, this is the perfect time to attempt many different interests.”

Throughout your college experience at Minnesota State Mankato, what has provided the greatest personal growth, memories, satisfaction and/or personal pride.

XAVIER: “The individual I meet or come across, each with their own distinct perspective. Enabling me to grow in multiple forms (spiritual, emotional, etc.)”

Share a special “lifelong” memory of college you will take with you when you leave Minnesota State Mankato. 

XAVIER: “The first meeting of Black intelligent Gentlemen, I had no clue that was the start of something special.”