ERIN JAQUETTE: Bullpen Leadership Experience Has Helped Her ‘Grow and Find Myself’

In recommending her for the BEST Board, Erin Jaquette’s nominator said it was easy to simplify the leadership role she plays in the operation of the Maverick Bullpen.

“If you ask Erin for an explanation of what her job entails, she’ll likely tell you it’s to create a fun and safe environment for all ages in the Bullpen, making certain the customers are satisfied, fixing bowling machines when needed, and helping to prepare and organize a variety of events,” her nomination read. “To me that is an oversimplification of the contributions Erin has made in the Bullpen as a student lead for the last two years. As a lead worker, Erin has assisted with the hiring and training of student employees. She has been responsible for managing the staff schedule, overseeing, and approving staff shift changes, and stepping in when needed to fill gaps in coverage.

“Staff look to her for guidance and direction on every facet of the Bullpen’s operation. In turn, she has brought forward insightful observations and suggestions for improving procedures to ensure consistent delivery of services so the staff can focus on providing an inviting environment in the Bullpen. From when she started working in 2020 to now, we’ve experienced a $9400 increase in Billiards and Bowling open sales. Erin has directly influenced the staff culture that unlocks and enables the Bullpen’s potential for community building.”

Name: Erin Jaquette

Hometown: La Crescent, Minn.

Major: Business Management with an emphasis in HR, minor in Marketing

Graduate Date: December 2023

Campus Involvement: Scheduling Lead at Maverick Bullpen, Director of Marketing/Communications for the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR COLLEGE EXPERIENCE? All the new connections I have made have helped me grow and enjoy college more. Without these connections, I wouldn’t enjoy working at the Bullpen and helping others make connections too.

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR FUTURE?

It has given me new opportunities to advance my college career and make many new connections. I wouldn’t be where I am today without the people I have met along the way.

How has campus involvement/campus employment enhanced YOUR LIFE? How are you different today than you were on your first day of college.

I have been able to grow and find myself. This is the part of life where I am learning lots of life lessons. Whether I make mistakes, I still learn.

Provide one or more detailed examples where your campus involvement/work experience made you a better leader.

Being in a leadership position at the Bullpen, I have that inside look at administrative work and get to deal with scheduling. I have learned that I enjoy scheduling and that co-workers look up to me and come to me for questions. When co-workers come to me it shows me that I am more than just another co-worker to them and that they see me as a leader and someone with the proper knowledge.

What advice would you share with fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience?

Be uncomfortable. Go outside of your comfort zone. And it’s okay to be alone and do things by yourself. Experiencing things alone is when you are able to get the most out of things in college. And that goes along with being uncomfortable as well.

Throughout your college experience at Minnesota State Mankato, what has provided the greatest personal growth, memories, satisfaction and/or personal pride.

The staff. James (James Ball, CSU Associate Director of Operations) has been a big, big factor in my growth as he sees growth and potential in me.

Share a special “lifelong” memory of college you will take with you when you leave Minnesota State Mankato. 

This isn’t a memory but more a friendship. I built a strong friendship with one of my co-workers (Jenna Anderson) and it will be a friendship that will last a lifetime. In February 2022 (in the Bullpen) we quickly planned a Spring Break trip to Florida. And it was the best last-minute trip.