MASAKI HARA: His Leadership Grows From His Word-is-His-Bond Confidence and Responsibility

In the BEST Board nomination of Masaki Hara, he was recognized for his assistance to incoming international students, particularly from Japan. His trustworthiness helps him gain the confidence to lead others.

“Masaki has been a leader with Bridges International for the past 2 academic years. He helps organize community building events and is always a welcoming face to new international students joining Bridges events. He is responsible and trustworthy – if he says he’ll do it, he will,” his nominator stated. “Masaki also serves as a graduate assistant in Global Education and in the Honor’s Program. He’s played a significant role in welcoming new Japanese students and helping them navigate the campus and culture. He joined them on a trip to New York City as a guide and even did a recruitment trip for Global Ed to Japan in November 2022.”

Name: Masaki Hara

Hometown: Minami, Tokushima, Japan

Master’s Degree Program: Geography

Graduation Date: Spring 2024

Campus Involvement: Bridges International, Friendship Family Program (Kearney Int’l Center), Global Ed exchange programs, Honors Program, Maverick Adventures

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR COLLEGE EXPERIENCE?

After getting many experiences and overcoming difficulties, I got confidence to get more college experience at Minnesota State Mankato. I do not hesitate to apply for new opportunities and do not give up them.

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR FUTURE?

My experiences help me to get better opportunities, work, and positions. I feel my skills have been developing and I am excited to get more opportunities in the future.

How has campus involvement/campus employment enhanced YOUR LIFE? How are you different today than you were on your first day of college.

When I was freshman, I did not have confidence and did not try new things. However, I grabbed opportunities quickly and apply for many opportunities and positions. I do not worry about the future and believe I can do what I set out to do.

Provide one or more detailed examples where your campus involvement/work experience made you a better leader.

Leaders need to trust others. When I was in a leader team of Bridges International, I tried to do everything by myself, but I noticed I cannot do everything and need other’s help. After trusting my group members and asking for help, event planning was much easier and it relieved my stress. To be better leader, do not do everything by yourself and just ask for help from others.

What advice would you share with fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience?

If you are interested in something, just do it. You might think you cannot do it and others say you cannot do it, but do not listen. You can do everything if you believe you can do. It is not easy to try a new thing. The first step is very hard. However, the next step is much easier and you can keep going.

Throughout your college experience at Minnesota State Mankato, what has provided the greatest personal growth, memories, satisfaction and/or personal pride.

Minnesota State Mankato gave me a lot of opportunities to improve my research, leadership, and intercultural involvement skills. Many people supported me to get new experiences and gave me a lot of advice. I appreciate many campus opportunities and staff at MNSU. Thank you so much for supporting my journey!

Share a special “lifelong” memory of college you will take with you when you leave Minnesota State Mankato.

My college experience helps me to be independent and have responsibility. I’ve had many experiences at Minnesota State Mankato that have helped me overcome difficulties.