‘FSL has given me challenges and experiences that shaped me into an amazing teacher’ -Lisbeth Magdaleno Garcia

Each semester since Spring 2015, the Centennial Student Union honors eight students selected for campus student leadership and CSU student staff excellence. Nominated by staff members from Student Affairs, the Kearney International Center, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion selected students are recognized on the BEST Board, a 55-foot display in the CSU Hearth Lounge created for Boasting Exceptional Student Talent.

Lis went above and beyond to change the face of the Tri Sigma chapter, and to improve its operations from the inside out. Going from recruiting two members in the spring semester of 2021 to recruiting 18 members in the fall was assisted heavily by the work she did to help change what recruitment looks like for the chapter as well as being the biggest cheerleader to the chapter during that process.

As a Family Consumer Science Education student representative from 2020-21, Lisbeth met with the dean of the College of Allied Health & Nursing to express any concerns among her peers in her major. She also is a member of Phi Upsilon Omicron, the Family Consumer Science honor society. She is a tutor for Sisters of Notre Dame since the Spring of 2021 and tutors adults that want to become U.S. citizens and volunteers.

‘Explore things that you are scared of. You never know what the outcome may be until you try.’

Lisbeth Magdaleno-Garcia

In Lisbeth’s own words:

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR FUTURE?

As a first-gen college student, I wanted nothing more than to make my parents proud of the woman I was becoming. However, I gained more than just proud parents – I gained a maverick family, unbelievable leadership opportunities, and experiences I couldn’t have dreamed of. The connections I have made in Fraternity and Sorority Life are forever and I will cherish them. FSL has given me the opportunity to learn within our organization. I have been a leader in this organization ever since I joined. The leadership that I have learned I will use in my future classroom. Teachers are leaders all day. We lead by example in the way we act, speak, and behave. FSL has given me challenges and experiences that shaped me into an amazing teacher. The best part is that this is just a stepping stone in my journey to become a knowledgeable, active woman in our society.

What advice would you share with fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience?

Advice that I would give fellow students in making the most of their college experience is – to get involved. There are so many organizations on campus that fit your lifestyle, vision, and future goals. Explore things that you are scared of. You never know what the outcome may be until you try.

Throughout your college experience at Minnesota State Mankato, what has provided the greatest personal growth, memories, satisfaction, and/or personal pride.

Throughout my college experience at MSU, Fraternity and Sorority life has provided the greatest personal growth, memories, satisfaction, and personal pride. Within this community, I have been able to be myself and be appreciated. There are no other people that I would dress up as Pitbull to lip sync for.