MADISON VANDERSEE: “Take time to explore your interests and connect with the groups who share those interests”

Each semester since Spring 2015, the Centennial Student Union honors eight students selected for campus student leadership and CSU student staff excellence. Nominated by staff members from Student Affairs, the Kearney International Center, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion selected students are recognized on the BEST Board, a 55-foot display in the CSU Hearth Lounge created for Boasting Exceptional Student Talent.

Nominator’s comments…

Madison displays many exemplary skills as a Leader on our campus…many of her skills are far more advanced relative to other students that I interact with. Madison takes on tasks within our area with keen attention to detail, perseverance, coordination, collaborative attitude, and positivity. Hands down, Madison has made an impact on our department, programming, and our connection with students. 

Madison has confidence, a listening ear, and a knack for planning, and then she builds the necessary steps to execute her ideas. Madison seeks to build our campus community to be more eco-minded, to provide students with a connection to the de-stressing benefits of the outdoors, and to introduce students to new connections, new experiences, and life-long pursuits.

In Madison’s Own Words…

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR COLLEGE EXPERIENCE? 

Working with Maverick Adventures in Campus Recreation has provided an opportunity for me to connect with our campus community in a variety of settings both on and off campus. I have had the opportunity to make close friends who share a similar love for the outdoors and adventure as well as try new activities I may not have experienced without this opportunity. 

How has campus involvement and/or campus employment enhanced YOUR FUTURE? 

The Experiential Education Masters program has provided an opportunity for me to grow an understanding of Experiential Education and explore my personal interests within the field. I have connected with Alum, professors, current students, and other professionals in the field who have helped guide my learning and provided support along the way. As I enter my final semester, I look forward to working on my capstone project and preparing for graduation. 

How has campus involvement/campus employment enhanced YOUR LIFE? 

My favorite place to be is outside. Working as the Outdoor Programs Graduate Assistant with Maverick Adventures has allowed me to explore places and try activities that I may not have tried without this opportunity. Our outdoor programs provide an opportunity for students to explore the outdoor activities southern Minnesota has to offer at a low cost and with guidance provided. Planning these programs has helped me connect with other students, staff, and faculty who share a love for the outdoors. 

Provide one or more detailed examples where your campus involvement/work experience made you a better leader. 

I arrived at MSU, Mankato with the goal of planning a campus-wide ‘Earth Week’ within my first year. This goal became reality when I was able to form connections with other offices and groups on campus who shared an interest in improving accessibility and sustainability in the outdoors. This led to an opportunity to become involved in the Environmental Committee on campus. This series of events has allowed me to 

continue building cross-campus and community-wide connections for future programs and has helped me grow as a leader through coordinating, planning, and executing events. 

What advice would you share with fellow students in helping them make the most of their college experience? 

There are a wide variety of opportunities to be involved on campus. Take time to explore your interests and connect with the groups who share those interests. Also, try something new! If there is an activity on campus that you don’t know much about but want to try… reach out and there will be someone who wants to help you get involved. 

Throughout your college experience at Minnesota State Mankato, what has provided the greatest personal growth, memories, satisfaction, and/or personal pride? 

My favorite memories have been made during the Outdoor Programs offered over the last two years. In my first year, we were able to begin an ice-fishing program, Earth Week, and bring back long-time favorites such as canoeing and snowshoeing. This fall we took a group of students caving at Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park which was a great opportunity to explore one of southern Minnesota’s hidden gems! I love getting students out to explore Minnesota’s natural resources