MOHAMMAD SAJAL: Involvement = Endless Possibilities

Each semester, the Centennial Student Union recognized eight outstanding students who excel as leaders in the campus community or within the CSU student staff. The BEST Board, the 55-foot display in the CSU Hearth Lounge, is a way of Boasting Exceptional Student Talent. This eight-part series offers a glimpse of each of those student leaders for Spring 2021.

Mohammed Sajal of Dhaka, Bangladesh, is a management information systems major. Nominated for his leadership with CSU Technical Services, he is set to graduate in Spring 2021.

In his nomination, Mohammed was viewed as a quick study. “Mohammad has been essential in aiding in the development of staff training plans within our Technical Services team. I have also witnessed that Mohammad has an incredible ability to learn new things. I have seen him pick up complex technical skills after only having them demonstrated to him once; this is not common when dealing with technically intensive equipment and events. In his time with Technical Services, he has become one of our go to staff member to handle the training of new technicians.”

Mohammed is also involved with the International Student Association, the Bangladesh Student Organization and the Association of Computing Machinery.

His BEST Board quote reads: “Don’t force yourself to fit in. Everyone is unique. Be yourself. Trust in your own ability and you will shine.”

RETURN TO THE inSIDER

Using your own experience, what advice for personal fulfillment and college enrichment would you offer to fellow students?

MOHAMMAD: “My whole college experience made me realize about a lot of things like my strong points, my weak points, personal growth etc. one of them I would say ” the world is a vast field of opportunities” if you prepare yourself just enough then the possibilities are endless and there’s no better place to prepare yourself other than the 4-5 years of college, where you get to meet diverse group of people with different characteristics, personalities, and nationalities under one roof. We also need to remember lots of people in world are not fortunate enough to get this collage experience due to different circumstances, so we need to stay humble and utilize this time of our life by exploring leadership opportunities, work, events, groups, education, and a whole lot of other things to discover new chapters about ourselves and careers that suites us the most. So, in the future we can contribute or give something back to our people and to the community.”

We often get asked, “How do I get on the BEST Board?” What do you think helped earn you your BEST Board distinction?

MOHAMMAD: “Involvement is the first word that comes in my mind, to my fellow students I would say, go out and explore and get involved. Once you get to see what our school and community has to offer, you will find plenty of people out there who might share similar thoughts and interest like you. Our university is one of the most diverse university in the Midwest. you will find someone who might inspire you or might even find someone who you can help or guide.”

Why did you pick the quote used on the BEST Board? Please provide some background.

MOHAMMAD: “I think international students have a bit different perspective towards the overall society of USA. As per human nature, we try to adapt but sometimes in this process – maybe because of peer pressure or the thought of societal acceptance – we find ourselves becoming something we are not. I believe sometimes change is necessary but accepting yourself as you are is also very important. This is why I picked the quote that I used on the BEST Board.”

What involvement or leadership experience at Minnesota State Mankato best defines you, your interests, or your proudest moment? 

MOHAMMAD: “I would say all of them, I started from being just a volunteer, as I gained more experience along the way I started coordinating events, after that I began to organize and host events and different types of programs as well. Realizing that I could do more I aimed for other competitive leadership positions ranging from being RSO president, being a senator in student government, VP in ISA, serving in different committees like SAC, SHS, parking and transportations etc. Although I decided not to run for any positions in my senior year, I still participate in various things whether it be fundraising at YMCA or finalizing our bus contract with the city of Mankato. This is my third year of being a member of contract review team. This also gave me a chance to be a part of the main team who got Sunday bus services and bus app on the map. I am still involved in this service and every year we try to bring new addition to aid our students on and off-campus so they can have reliable options for transportation. This year we are hoping to add ruby-ride. As a member of the 10-member evaluation team, I hope to say by summer that we also might see a foot scooter option on our campus. Overall, I feel humbled and honored that I was able to serve my fellow students through various leadership positions, and the fact that they have elected me in those positions continuously, it shows how much trust they have in my work and in me and that they found me qualified. it gives me confidence and motivation to continue helping people whenever I get the opportunity.”

Where do you hope to take your college education earned at Minnesota State Mankato (what are your career aspirations)?

MOHAMMAD: “I have learned a lot from this university and from the surrounding community. My current goal after graduation is to secure a job in the IT field and be a part of the ever-growing technological sector of the USA, I also aspire to be an entrepreneur someday and contribute to the community.”

What words of wisdom would you share in these unusual times?

MOHAMMAD: “I would say be patient and be positive, the whole world is facing this problem together, so please be hopeful and kind to others. Help the community any way you can but also be respectful to the rules and regulations of your residing community.”

RETURN TO THE inSIDER