Two Mavericks Named Among 12 International Coaches of the Year for Girls on the Run Program

Nhean & Thomas Only Two College Students Among Honorees

by ANGELA MURPHY, CSU Public Relations Student Assistant

Molly (Left) and Emilee (Right)

Molly Nhean and Emilee Thomas were recently awarded two of the top 12 Girls on the Run (GOTR) International Coaches of the Year.

GOTR is a nonprofit organization all over the nation that hosts an after-school program for girls. Emilee and Molly have been coaches for the YWCA Mankato Girls on the Run Program for 3 years.

Out of 10,000 applicants for GOTR International Coaches of the Year and two came from our own campus. Emilee and Molly are the only two college students to be recognized for their outstanding work as GOTR coaches.

When asked what they love about being Girls on the Run coaches and why they still coach:

“I love coaching Girls on the Run because I get to make a difference in the community,” Emilee said. “I’ve had the opportunity to coach the same team for the past five seasons and I feel like I’ve really gotten to see them grow up and become strong girls.”

Molly said coaching Mankato youth helped her grow as well.

“I love being a Girls on the Run coach because I have had an amazing opportunity to help empower the youth in our community to feel comfortable as their true authentic selves,” she said. “The best part about being a coach is watching the girls in the program grow into confident young leaders. Little did I know the girls in the program would inspire me to also be the best version of myself. I am so grateful for the connections and memories I have made through the Girls on the Run program.”

In addition to GOTR, Molly is president of Gamma Phi Beta, president of Gamma Sigma Alpha, vice president of Order of Omega, and Student Ambassadors. Emilee is the administrative vice president of Gamma Phi Beta, the marketing and events assistant for the College of Business, and on the College of Business Student Executive Team (SET).